TasteQuery

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Recipe Edition!

Since you're all taking The Pantry Challenge and cooking at home this week, I thought it would be a good time for a recipe makeover! Send your favorite "not so svelte" recipe to me at jenny@thesveltegourmet.com. Over the next couple weeks, I'll choose a few to revamp. I'll publish the made-over versions in upcoming blog entries!

I know what you're thinking. There's no way "my famous xyz" will be the same with lighter ingredients! Well, you're right, it probably won't be exactly the same. But here's what I can promise you -- it will still satisfy your urge for whatever it is supposed to satisfy! In other words, comfort food will still comfort you, dinner party food will still impress your guests, and quick-to-the-table dinner will still be speedy. Remember, this is a lifestyle change. We still need our favorites from time to time. Denying ourselves these guilty pleasures just leads to a backslide to bad behavior. My goal is to make your guilty pleasure with a lot less guilt!

Some of the made-over recipes from The Svelte Gourmet include spaghetti, lasagna, pad Thai, burgers and even pizza -- a pizza so good that my family says it's better than delivery. They request it weekly and I oblige. After all, the entire 8-inch pizza only has 400 calories and is loaded with wholesome ingredients and no preservatives! That's my kind of diet food!

So send me your favorite guilty pleasures and I'll get to work on some svelte make-overs! Don't worry, I won't publish your original "secret" recipes -- just the new versions, attributed to you.

Send your recipes to jenny@thesveltegourmet.com. Go ahead, challenge me!

If you need some recipe ideas in the meantime, The Svelte Gourmet: A Month of Main Courses is available at www.thesveltegourmet.com/products.html.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Great idea! Mmm I would love a svelte, homemade, baked Macaroni and Cheese ... not sure if that's possible, though if anyone can do it, you can! The traditional kind that's baked and all golden on the top is just soooo good!

The Svelte Gourmet said...

OK, Amanda, I'm all over that one! I was recently watching "Bobby Flay: Throwdown," the mac 'n cheese episode. The woman that he challenged had a recipe with 2000 calories PER SERVING. Yes, 2000. I have some tricks up my sleeve, and my goal will be to get it under 200 cal/serving. Thanks for the suggestion!