TasteQuery

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I like to keep green soup around the house to mess with the kids. (New recipe!)

Brrrr...even by northern standards, Charleston is cold. There was ice on my front stairs this morning! The pond even has a layer of ice on it! Since moving down here, my skin has gotten thinner...or something. I feel like a popsicle!

Nothing says cozy like a homemade pot of soup. Vegetable, chicken noodle, tomato (the Far East Tomato Soup in my cookbook is to die for!). I also love making soup because it's easy to freeze and pull out on those nights when I don't want to cook.

One of my all-time favorites is split pea soup. Though I leave the potatoes out to keep it svelte, it is still really good. It has nice chunks of ham and the onion, celery and bay leaves give the split peas an amazing flavor. YUM. At least I think so. Judging by Keith and Taylor downing a bowl or two each, I think they agree. Courtney, on the other hand, was not amused. I decided to stay out of it this time...

Her: "Daddy, it's green."
Him: "Then close your eyes."
Her: "Can't I have something else?"
Him: "You've already had half a loaf of bread. Two teaspoons is all I ask. It's good!"
Her: "Nope."
Him: "Then no more snacks or bread. Two teaspoons."
Her: "Not gonna happen. I don't care, I don't need snacks. I'm not hungry."

Little Courtney ended up eating her two teaspoons of soup for breakfast before Keith made her pancakes. And she admitted it wasn't too bad. Just not something she would want to eat again. What a hoot! I'm sure I said the same thing when I was 10, but now I love this soup. Thanks Mom!

This weekend, I set out to create more soup -- for us to freeze and to use up some of the ingredients in the fridge. I'm also working on the next cookbook, which will feature soups, salads, sides, etc., so I'm always experimenting. Well wouldn't you know it, green soup once again made an appearance. I wonder how Miss Courtney is going to like this one? Maybe I should spare her, but it's REALLY good, and she likes broccoli. If she can just get past the color, I'm sure she would like it!

This Creamy Broccoli Soup is a recreation of two old favorites -- cream of broccoli and broccoli cheese soups. However, this one focuses more on the broccoli and less on the fat. It's different and interesting, with delicate flavors that mellow the broccoli's bite. And unlike the old favorites, it is VERY light. With the ingredients I used, I calculated mine to have 75 calories per serving, with 8 servings in the pot. Of course Keith and I each ate more than a serving at a time, but with it being so low in calories, who cares?! It was a cozy, comforting meal for us during this unusual cold spell in Charleston, and he loved it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Creamy Broccoli Soup
2 lbs (10 cups) broccoli, frozen or fresh
1 quart chicken broth (preferably low fat and low salt).
2 oz light cream cheese (regular or reduced fat)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (fat free or full fat)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste (amount needed will depend on your broth)
Extra broth or water to thin, if necessary

Boil broccoli in broth for 10 minutes, or until it's soft enough to mash with a fork (don't drain it). Mash roughly and add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until the cream cheese melts. Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender, blending until smooth and adding extra broth to achieve your desired consistency. Top with a dollop of yogurt and some freshly ground black pepper if desired.

Enjoy!

The Svelte Gourmet Cookbook: A Month of Main Courses is available at www.thesveltegourmet.com/products.html.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you on Ch. 2 and just had a chance to read your blog! I made the Creamy Broccoli Soup last night (which I have never been a fan of broc). It was DELICIOUS! I used a food processor instead of the blender, so the consistency was a tad bit different. But I could eat that every day! And I used all fat free and low so...dium items! I will definitely be purchasing your book! Thank you and Good luck with everything!

Amanda said...

Will definitely try this recipe. In europe they eat loads of pureed soups (yay immersion blenders!), so at the end of the week I always boil up veg in chicken stock, and then whizz it all together, it's a great way to use veg past its' prime. I like to drizzle in a little cream, but yogurt is a much lower-fat idea ;)

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

This looks really good. I think I'll try it. :)

The Svelte Gourmet said...

It really is good and doesn't taste at all like diet food! =)

Unknown said...

Made this last night, my 3 year old loved it and asked fopr a 2nd serve.

I used a Thermomix to steam Broccoli and cook soup made inj around 15 mins. Very easy meal & Delicious.

The Svelte Gourmet said...

Fantastic, I'm so glad to hear it! Great idea, too, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Jen - Your soup is delish! I added some Kale I had leftover during the broccoli boiling phase and a sprinkle of nutmeg and followed the rest of the directions exactly. YUM :)

Rachel @ Bakerita said...

Yum! My roomie and I are drooling over this and planning our market trip to get all the ingredients!
Can't wait, it sounds perfect for our rainy Washington days.

The Svelte Gourmet said...

I hope you enjoy it! This general recipe is also a great base for other veggies. Sub in cauliflower or squash for the broccoli...it's a great way to use what's in season!